What Are The Different Types of Carpet Designs Available? What Should I Choose?
We here at Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning Houston, one of the most reputable carpet cleaners in Houston, have worked on literally thousands of carpeted floors while performing carpet cleaning services.
Our years of experience and expertise doing carpet cleaning in Houston makes us a local expert on carpet. Why, might you ask? Well, traditional handymen or carpet installers may install a carpet, but it’s a carpet cleaning Houston professional that sees the same carpet multiple times, and sees how it wears, and how it holds up over time!
When it comes to purchasing carpet there are two primary considerations to look at: pile design, and fiber type. Both of these considerations affect how easy your carpet cleans before you bring in your favorite Oxi Fresh Houston carpet cleaners.
Carpet Pile Design
Carpet pile, or the shape and texture of your carpet fibers is split into cut-pile, loop-pile, and cut and loop pile designs. We at Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning Houston have worked with all of these carpet designs.
Cut Pile Designs:
- Saxony Pile – ¾” pile height typically, twisted, heat-set yarns, stands upright underneath foot traffic. More than 90% of expensive carpet is made out of Saxony pile.
- Plush/Velvet Pile – This plush design is dense enough to hold up to normal traffic. This pile has little to no twist, which produces a smooth texture. Because Plush/Velvet pile is sensitive to heat, the OxiFresh Carpet Cleaning Houston team always takes extra care to not deform the carpet .
- Shag Pile – This design hails from the 70’s, and has a low density with long length such that the fibers lie more or less sideways every which way. Less commonly employed today.
- Splush Pile – It’s Shag! It’s Plush! It’s Splush! This mix of Shag and Plush is also called mini-shag or short-shag. You still get the random sideways laying effect as with Shag.
- Grass Pile – This grass simulator is typically made of slit-film olefin, coming in a large variety of colors.
- Frieze – This design has tightly twisted yarns that give a rough, fine, slightly bumpy appearance
Loop Pile Designs:
- Multi-Level Loop Pile – This Loop style has both low and high loops, creating a staggered density effect
- Level Loop Pile – These are just loops that are uncut, consisting of loops. Commercial carpet has very low height to it. OxiFresh Carpet Cleaning Houston staff members are experienced with all types of commercial carpet.
Although Berber carpet is the traditional loop carpet that tends to get snagged and produces runs with traditional vacuums and carpet cleaners, when our carpet cleaning Houston professionals come to your home, we –never- damage your carpet, or your money back.
Cut And Loop Pile Designs:
- Sculptured Saxony – This beautiful Saxony has high Cut pile yarns, with Loop piles accenting in between. Elegant and interesting.
- Sculptured Shag – This is like Sculptured Saxong except it has higher cut-pile yarns, contrasted with Loops that are uncut.
- Level Cut Loop – This pile uses even length loops and cut-pile fibers interspersed throughout.
The Carpet Choice Verdict From Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning Houston
In general, Cut and Loop Pile with lower loops and higher cut fibers, and Cut Pile carpets stand up to wear and tear the best. You can last just a smidge longer between OxiFresh Carpet Cleaning Houston visits for these types of carpet as opposed to loop carpet, because these carpets are less fragile, and less fragile carpets mean you can actually clean them regularly without needing to call in a carpet cleaning, Houston professional.
Carpet Cleaning Houston Gives Berber Carpet a Thumbs Down
As for looped carpet, especially Berber carpet, these carpets tend to snag easily, going on continuous unraveling runs, with costly repairs in between. Because of its fragile nature, homeowners tend to vacuum their Berber carpets less, for fear of damaging them, and thus more frequent visits from a carpet cleaning, Houston professional are required to compensate. Pets also wear down Berber carpet significantly faster over Cut and Loop or Cut piles, because these types of carpet are not likely to unravel.
Generally speaking, we at Oxi Fresh Carpet recommend staying away from Berber carpet so you can more easily maintain it, but if you love the look and feel (we certainly do!) we don’t mind helping you maintain your carpet by bringing in our green carpet cleaning Houston crew! Look out for a future post about the best carpet materials to choose from your friendly staff at Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning in Houston!