Save Your Shirt: Removing Mustard Stains from Laundry
Save Your Shirt! How to Remove Mustard Stains from Clothes
A lot of stains and spills are annoying but aren’t that much of a headache. Sure, it’s not fun dealing with the juice spill or the mud, but it’s manageable. Mustard stains, however, are on a different level.
Packed with turmeric and oils, these yellow spots can be a downright nightmare. Thankfully, Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning has put together this guide to treat mustard stains in laundry. Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need
– Cotton Towels
– Butter Knife/Spoon
– Rubber Gloves
– Laundry Detergent/Stain Remover (W/O Ammonia)
– Bleach/Color-Safe Bleach
Let’s Get Cleaning!
1. Before removing the item, immediately grab a spoon or butter knife and use it to remove as much of the mustard “glob” as you can. Scrape towards the center of the spot to prevent spreading it around.
2. After removing the bulk of the mustard, blot the spot with a clean towel to remove even more. Make sure you put a towel or rag behind the stain to prevent it transferring to the other side of the shirt.
3. Since there will probably be some time before you can fully launder this shirt, let’s assume the mustard dries out. When that happens, use a butter knife to scrape away any dried mustard you can. Give the shirt a good shake to make sure none of the flakes get stuck to it.
3. Now, take the shirt to the sink and run cold water through the back of the stain. This should flush out more of the material.
4. While wearing gloves, work liquid laundry detergent or your favorite stain remover (with NO ammonia) into the spot. Work towards the center of spot so you don’t spread the mustard around. Like before, make sure you put a towel or rag behind the stain to prevent it transferring to the other side of the shirt.
5. Wash the item of clothing with bleach or color safe bleach. If the item of clothing is white cotton, wash it in hot water. Use warm or cold water for delicate clothing.
6. After washing, check the stain to see if it’s been eliminated. You don’t want to dry it right away as that can set the stain. If you still see a spot at this stage you can try the more advanced methods listed here under Method 3.
Hopefully, this guide has helped eliminate that stubborn spot and saved that shirt! Thanks to the team at wikiHow for the great information!
What Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning Customers Are Saying
Average 4.6 stars (Out of 5)
The Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning Blog
Save Money with
Our Online Coupons